Saturday, November 26, 2011

Prepositions beginning with F

One-word prepositions

following

  • We had coffee following lunch.
  • He couldn't work following his illness.

for (also conjunction)

  • This is for you.
  • Do you want to go for a walk?
  • You use a corkscrew for opening bottles.
  • Cigarettes are bad for you.
  • I'm saving for a new car.
  • Is this the road for Rome?
  • They passed me over for John.
  • Is this the train for Cambridge?
  • I bought it for $10.
  • We worked for three hours.
  • Keep walking for two kilometres.

from

  • Where do you come from?
  • This letter is from my wife.
  • I bought this car from Henry.
  • They prevented me from entering.
  • My car is different from yours.
  • We worked from Monday to Wednesday.
  • Paper is made from wood.
  • It can cost anything from $5 to $15.
  • The police took my driving licence from me.
  • He died from overwork.

Complex prepositions

forward of

  • He was sitting forward of me in the plane. I could just see the back of his head.

further to

  • Further to your letter, I have spoken to Mr Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment