Thursday, December 1, 2011

Nouns that can be Countable and Uncountable

Nouns that can be Countable and Uncountable

Sometimes, the same noun can be countable and uncountable, often with a change of meaning.

Countable
Uncountable
There are two hairs in my coffee! hair I don't have much hair.
There are two lights in our bedroom. light Close the curtain. There's too much light!
Shhhhh! I thought I heard a noise.
There are so many different noises in the city.
noise It's difficult to work when there is too much noise.
Have you got a paper to read? (newspaper)
Hand me those student papers.
paper I want to draw a picture. Have you got some paper?
Our house has seven rooms. room Is there room for me to sit here?
We had a great time at the party.
How many times have I told you no?
time Have you got time for a coffee?
Macbeth is one of Shakespeare's greatest works. work I have no money. I need work!

No comments:

Post a Comment